Coronavirus: Tui halts its trips to the Zante of Laganas Resort after virus clusters

Image copyright
Getty Images

Comment on the picture

Wells Minister of Health Vaughan Githing said people returning from Zante are a public health hazard

Travel company Tui has canceled all holidays at a party resort on a Greek island due to customers’ failure to follow coronavirus-related safety measures.

Toei said it will no longer offer tours to the Laganas resort in Zante from Thursday.

This comes after six groups of cases were linked to flights from the island.

The UK government is under pressure to reconsider quarantine rules in England for Greece, after both Scotland and Wales introduced their own measures.

The Scottish government announced All travelers arriving from Greece will be required to self-isolate for 14 days after 04:00 GMT on Thursday. While the Minister of Health in Wales has asked arrivals from Zante to quarantine.

Andrew Flintam, managing director of Tui UK and Ireland, said anyone who booked to go to Laganas after September 3 will be refunded for the cancellation, but those trips to all other resorts in Zante will continue as normal.

“Laganas is a popular resort with young people who traditionally spend their holidays in large groups of friends,” he said.

“The health and safety of our colleagues and customers is our primary concern and recent cases show that some clients do not follow Covid’s social distancing and safety measures.

“So it is the right thing to do to protect and reduce the potential risks that have now been identified to others by discontinuing offering vacations to this particular resort.”

Image copyright
Getty Images

Comment on the picture

Numbers have been restricted in bars and restaurants on the island to limit the spread of the virus

Nearly 200 people have faced self-isolation after at least 16 passengers on a Tui flight from Zante to Cardiff Airport tested positive for the virus. Some people claimed passengers You did not follow the rules of Covid-19.

Wells Minister of Health Vaughan Githing said there were six clusters of cases, amounting to more than 30 infections, linked to flights from the Greek island in the past week – including two flights that landed in England.

Mr Githing called on the UK government to agree to meeting with delegated states on Wednesday for an urgent discussion to remove Greece from the country’s quarantine exempt lists. The meeting usually takes place on Thursday.

His comments came shortly after the Scottish government announced its decision.

  • Tui calls for “regional travel corridors”
  • Can I still go on vacation to Portugal or Greece?

Justice Minister Hamzah Yusuf said: “With the relatively low infection rate in Scotland, importing new cases from Greece represents a major risk to public health.”

Greek Tourism Minister Harris Theoharis said that the country in general has a lower infection rate than the United Kingdom and that it is taking targeted measures that have previously succeeded in dealing with virus hotspots, such as reducing numbers in bars and restaurants.

“We are doing everything we can to ensure that everyone who comes from the UK in Greece is safe,” he told BBC Radio 4 on the Today program.

But he said it was also important for visitors to “show some restraint” and understand that tourism was different during the pandemic, with the necessity to follow social distancing rules and wear masks when needed.

When a country exceeds 20 cases per 100,000 people in the past week, the UK government typically imposes 14 days of self-isolation on returning travelers.

There were 14.0 cases of coronavirus per 100,000 people in Greece in the seven days through August 31, down from 14.9 the previous week. But many cases of the virus in Scotland have been traced to Greece, Including a passenger aboard a Tui flight from Zante to Glasgow On August 23.

Toye said clients scheduled to travel to Greece from Scotland will be able to amend or cancel their holiday in light of the quarantine announcement.

Media playback is not supported on your device

Media explanationAndrew Flintam, president of TUI, says the government should consider “regional travel corridors”

Meanwhile, the ministers are cRe-impose quarantine measures on those entering the United Kingdom from Portugal Sources told the BBC with the increase in cases of coronavirus.

Less than two weeks have passed since the establishment of a travel corridor between Portugal and the United Kingdom, after a continuous period of declining cases in the country, leaving it with less than 20 cases per 100,000 people.

As of September 1, the UK had recorded 25.0 cases of coronavirus per 100,000 people over the past two weeks while Portugal had recorded 36.7. According to the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control.

Every year, more than two million Britons visit Portugal, which makes up the largest number of foreign tourists to the country.

During the months of May and June, the Portuguese government reopens its restaurants, cafes, museums and beaches. Mainly hotels have reopened, but nightclubs remain closed.

The government has not commented on whether the requirements for arrivals from Portugal will change again.

Last week, Switzerland, Jamaica and the Czech Republic joined France, Spain and other destinations on the UK’s quarantine list.

READ  Struggle in the Himalayas - The New York Moments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *