Augsburg has a small, free open-air museum on Domplatz. Roman ruins tell about the history of the city.
So far we have mainly introduced individual creatures in this series. But there’s also a really small open-air museum with a lot of applied art to look at, especially in times of pandemics, and that’s free, a must-have talk of the day.
It is located in a prominent historical place
Augsburg The Roman and Medieval periods of Augsburg and the early modern times of Augsburg can be read clearly. They show – with detailed explanations – fragments, food remnants, and impressions from precisely these broad ages: the foundations of a large Roman apartment building, the foundation stones of a chapel from the early Middle Ages, the blueprint for a small medieval basilica and – after the structures built above no longer exist. Main features of the parade ground as it was established in 1808 after secularization.
In 1954, a Roman wall was added to the Cathedral Square in Augsburg
In our inner eyes, we are in South Cathedral Square. It is a great historical spot in the city, which is not poor in historical sites. In 1954, the so-called Roman Wall was added there, which at the present time – the Dominican Church has been closed for years, and the warehouse is closed – provides valuable services in terms of viewing Roman antiquities.
In detail and in selection: the Roman apartment building arose from the heyday of the economy of Augusta Vindelicum as the seat of the Roman governor of the Alpine province in Raetia: the second century after Christ, the Emperor Hadrian has just granted city rights. The room layout becomes apparent in the bird’s eye view from the cathedral square; The building, which might have been used as a business or lodge, might have had a bath – or at least floor heating. The well system has also survived, which was in use until the early Middle Ages, when a chapel with a visible apse was built again today. During the reign of Bishop Ulrich, Saint Johann was built on top of it in 960 – it was used as a baptistery and cemetery. Its chest has also been exposed or clearly marked with brick walls since 1932.
Five friezes blocks may have come from a Roman temple
All this is easy to understand – skiing through the centuries – but not the former site of the Epiphany Church and the site of the “Finstere Gräd” pass, which once led from the cathedral to St. Johann and served as a covered tomb site for the nobles.
The so-called Roman wall, where a group of Roman stone fragments can be seen: architectural fragments such as the five frieze blocks, which may have been used as a temple one day; Tombstones, such as the headstones of Marcus Aurelius Carus that are likely pine cones, as well as well-known reliefs of a wine cart with oxen; Monuments in honor of dignitaries such as emperors and rulers, and finally evidence of the worship of deities, such as a high-quality Mercury relief. Quite a few of these have been renewed for reasons of rampant sabotage and air pollution.
Then there is the altar of Jupiter, which a police officer / soldier erected on December 13, 194, marking his “retirement”.
Today, however, we imagine what it would be like if that became the norm at every retirement age.
Read more about art in public:
We want to know your opinion: Die Augsburg General So he works with the polling institute CV together. Read here what the representative surveys are about and why you should register.